Job Description: Bilingual Counselor/Advocate
Position Summary: Raksha Inc seeks a full time mental health therapist with a background in client advocacy to work with both minors and adult victims and survivors of domestic violence while promoting Raksha’s mission. Raksha’s mission is to promote a stronger and healthier South Asian community through confidential support services, education, and advocacy.
1) Answer Raksha’s helpline and client related calls.
2) Provide crisis intervention.
3) Helping clients with safety planning.
4) Provide counseling/therapy to individuals and families,
5) Provide and document advocacy and support services to clients in the online database system, Apricot.
6) Assist clients in accessing social services, safe housing, job training, and legal aid/immigration services (including writing support letters).
7) Provide court accompaniments to survivors of domestic violence.
8) Conduct presentations with staff or volunteers and actively participate in community organizing and coalition building efforts.
9) Network with social service organizations.
10) Assist in administrative, fundraising, media relations.
11) Conduct intakes and risk assessments.
12) Facilitate monthly Saturday adult support group.
13) Attend weekly staff meetings and direct services meetings.
14) Assist with staff initiatives in line with Raksha’s mission.
15) Flexible working hours (including evenings).
16) Attend administrative supervision with clinical director
17) Schedule and assist clients with organizing transportation (e.g. uber, marta) service
18) Assist other staff with reporting service numbers for grants
19) Attend professional development/ staff trainings as well as maintain yearly CEUs
20) Create educational and outreach material based on the needs of clients
1) Master’s degree in a counseling related field and licensure preferred, e.g. LMFT, LMSW/LCSW, LPC/LAPC. Bachelor’s degree required in counseling, social work or psychology.
2) Fluency in another language; preferred: Hindi/Urdu/Gujrati.
3) Previous experience in crisis intervention and/or working with trauma required
4) Previous experience and training to work with children and families strongly preferred.
5) Understanding of issues pertaining to victims of violence (e.g. domestic, interpersonal)
6) Ability to work sensitively with diverse cultures and populations (e.g. immigrants).
7) Ability to work well under pressure and some ambiguity.
8) Strong communication (both written and verbal), facilitation, and organization skills.
9) Ability to work flexible hours incl. evenings/weekends.
10) Self-motivated and good time management skills.
11) Computer Literacy (e.g. MS Office) and Documentation skills.
12) Fluency in a South Asian or other language preferred. Ability to utilize interpreters as needed.
13) Ability to respect/sustain interpersonal boundaries.
14) Be willing to promote Raksha’s mission as outlined above.
Annual Salary: $40,000–$45,000.