What is Victims Compensation?

Victim compensation eases the financial burden faced by victims of violent crimes by covering expenses related to medical bills, funeral expenses, mental health counseling and crime scene sanitization, as well as loss of income or support.

In Georgia, victims can apply to Georgia Crime Victims Compensation Program

Frequently Asked Questions


I don't speak English very well. How can I get language help?

- Click on Select Language on the top, right of this page to select a language by choosing the flag icons or choose your language from the dropdown on the menu bar.

- To call the Crime Victims Compensation Program directly, dial 800-547-0060 (toll-free). You can ask for language assistance when you call. The helpline has trained Program Advocates available to assist you. 

- Additionally, if you need any assistance in completing the forms, please call Raksha at 404-876-0670.

I am a victim/ witness of a violent crime in Georgia and I want to file a claim. Where do I begin?

- You could call the Georgia Victims Compensation program helpline (call toll-free: 800) 547-0060) and talk to program advocates.
- You could visit the Georgia Victims Compensation Program website. This is the official website/resource for victims comp in Georgia. Find out the eligibility requirements, what you can get compensation for, what you need to apply and timing requirements on this page (click).

Who can apply for Victims Comp?

You can apply if you are a victim or witness of a violent crime, have been physically injured, were receiving financial support from the offender or even if you are not the victim/witness but are providing financial support to the victim and paying bills related to the crime. Please refer to the complete list of requirements is on the Georgia Crime Victims Compensation website.

Where do I apply/ who do I file a claim with?

Apply to the compensation program of the US state in which the crime occurred.  In Georgia, victims can apply to the Crime Victims Compensation Program.

How does Victims Comp help?

Victims Comp provides financial assistance to victim of violent crimes for expenses made in relation to a violent crime, such as medical bills, mental health counseling, loss of income and support and in case of death, funeral expenses and crime scene sanitization. 

What types of expenses can you get compensated/reimbursement for?

When all resources are exhausted, Victims Comp can help provide upto $25,000 per victim, per victimization for the following types of expenses:

  • Medical Expenses: up to $15,000
  • Funeral Expenses: up to $6,000*
  • Counseling Expenses: up to $3,000
  • Lost Wages Expenses: up to $10,000
  • Loss of Support Expenses: up to $10,000
  • Crime Scene Sanitization: up to $1,500

 *For crimes prior to May 6, 2015, the categorical cap is $3,000

Can I file a claim for a crime that occurred more than 3 years ago?

- For crimes occurring prior to July 1, 2014, an application must be filed within 1 year of the crime, unless good cause is shown (a claim submitted 3 years after the victimization cannot be considered).

-For crimes occurring on or after July 1, 2014, the victim/witness must file a claim within 3 years of the crime or the death of the victim.

- If good cause is shown, the Board may extend the time for filing a claim.

- "Good cause" extensions may include incapacity due to injuries or hospitalization or extensions given to victims, who were minors (under 18 years of age) at the time of the victimization to file a claim within 3 years after their 18th birthday.

I am not a citizen or legal or permanent resident of the United States. Can I still get to file a claim?

Yes, if you fit the eligibility requirements. Citizenship is not a program requirement to apply or to receive compensation.

I live in Georgia but the crime occurred in another state. Can I still apply?

You should apply or file a claim with the compensation board/ program OF THE STATE WHERE THE CRIME OCCURRED. Compensation is administered at the state level. To find another state program, visit the National Association of Crime Victim Compensation Boards website.

Select Language ยป