What is Victims Compensation?
Victims Compensation eases the financial burden faced by victims of violent crimes by covering expenses related to medical bills, funeral expenses, mental health counseling and crime scene sanitization, as well as loss of income or support.
In the United States, each state administers its own victims compensation programs. In the state of Georgia, victims can apply to the Crime Victims Compensation (Victims Comp) program, which is a program of the Criminal Justice Coordinating Council.
1. Find out if you are eligible to apply: Click to take a quiz to see if you qualify (Georgia Crime Victims Compensation Program website)
- Citizenship is not a program requirement to apply but the crime must have occured in the state of Georgia
- Victims need to have reported to the proper authorities within 72 hours of the crime unless “good cause is shown”
What is not covered:
- Suicide and suicide related expenses
- Property loss or damage unless it is for the replacement of medically necessary devices such as eyeglasses, wheelchair
Who Is NOT Eligible For Crime Victims Compensation?
- You were committing a crime or you were incarcerated when the crime occurred.
- You participated in or were involved in the events leading to the crime.
- You were on probation or parole due to a felony crime involving physical injury to others when the crime occurred.
- You are filing the application more than 3 years from the date of the crime (for crimes occurring prior to July 1, 2014).
Flyers in South Asian languages
हिंदी (Available)| Coming Soon : اردو | বাংলা | গুজরাটি | নেপালি
Raksha is working towards providing translated portions of important information in the form of flyers and pages. (Links to flyers or pages will be made active as soon as they are vetted and ready to share)
Click SELECT LANGUAGE on the top right of this page to read in your native language.
(Hindi) अपनी मातृभाषा में पढ़ने के लिए इस पृष्ठ के ऊपर दाईं ओर भाषा चुनें पर क्लिक करें। (Urdu) اس پیج کو اپنی مادری زبان میں دیکھنے کے لئے دائیں طرف “ترجمہ” پر کلک کریں (Bangla) আপনার মাতৃভাষায় পড়তে, এই পৃষ্ঠার উপরের ডানদিকে ভাষা চয়ন করুন। (Gujarati) તમારી માતૃભાષામાં વાંચવા માટે, આ પૃષ્ઠની ઉપર જમણી બાજુએ ભાષા પસંદ કરોને ક્લિક કરો. (Marathi) आपल्या मातृभाषेत वाचण्यासाठी, या पृष्ठाच्या वरील उजव्या बाजूला भाषा निवडा क्लिक करा. (Sinhala) ඔබේ මව් බසින් කියවීමට, මෙම පිටුවේ ඉහළ දකුණේ භාෂාව තෝරන්න ක්ලික් කරන්න. (Nepali) तपाईको मातृभाषामा पढ्न यस पृष्ठको माथि दायाँ भाषा रोज्नुहोस् भन्ने क्लिक गर्नुहोस्। (Burmese) သင်၏မိခင်ဘာသာစကားဖြင့်ဖတ်ရန်ဤစာမျက်နှာ၏ညာဘက်ထောင့်ရှိရွေးချယ်ရန်ကိုနှိပ်ပါ။ (Telugu) మీ మాతృభాషలో చదవడానికి ఈ పేజీ యొక్క కుడి మూలలో ఉన్న ఎంపికపై క్లిక్ చేయండి. (Arabic) انقر فوق “ترجمة” إلى اليمين لعرض هذه الصفحة بلغتك الأم
If you or someone you know would like help/ language assistance completing your application, please call the Crime Victims Compensation Program toll-free at 800-547-0060. In addition to trained Program Advocates available to assist you, the helpline can connect you to interpreters or local community organizations who can assist you. Additionally, if you need any assistance in completing the forms, please call Raksha at 404-876-0670